Sunday, June 10, 2007

Ponderings....Back to Basics

Date: 10th June 2007, Sunday
Mood: Pondering....


I was reading the BBC world news a couple of weeks ago and it had an article on what makes the great investors great. One factor that it observed was that they love what they do. In other words, despite passing the retirement age, they still work at what they love best. Hence, when they make investment decisions, they do it because they want the best in all aspects and are not there purely for the money. The author also noted that those who wanted to make their fast million for the sole purpose of retiring early often don’t have the best interests at heart.

That made me wonder what really makes me tick. Having being on this program and getting the opportunity to teach, I have to admit it is the people that have brought a smile to my face. Some how, I like this society and I feel safe. But to work in a corporate setting is somewhat different from the education sector. Nevertheless, I still believe that in all sectors of society, there will be an incredible amount of politics. Not knowing the language fluently, it helps maintain my ‘innocent’ belief that it is a less political environment and it cares more about the people than red tape or political maneuvering. But age makes one cynical at times.

I think that I will be going back to corporate world with a different perspective this time. Having settled into a simple lifestyle and also feeling more contented with life as I have achieved one of my life goals. I hope that I will not be agitated by the incompetence, injustice and also at times the blunt corruption of the corporate setting. Don’t know what the latter part of 2007 will bring when I set foot back home. Only God knows. The biggest thing that gets me is that people are not appropriately recognized and rewarded especially those who does it well and has the best interests at heart. But I now realize that I can’t change the system, but I can effect change on a person-to-person basis. One rule in mathematics is that if the problem is too hard, go right back to the basics. I believe that it is a universal rule.

I guess that's why from a Christian perspective, as God has the power to affect change universally, He still chose to go right back to the basics: By giving people a choice to change, on a person-by-person basis.

In respect to the business world, I suspect that the most influential person, is not usually the person that holds the "title" or the "power" or just "looks good", but the person that holds the strings of relationships. And, relationship is established when you respect the person enough to allow them to make his or her own choice but with you also supporting them as a friend to see them achieve the best that they can achieve. That's team work. The ability to give, to challenge and to push others further.

And this "team work" should also apply to all facets of life and society. Hopefully, one day, we would see a society that has both hands stretched to give and to include other people rather than to take and push others away. Especially to those who don't "fit" their set of expectations.


The Homeless People at Ueno













Nomadic Rantings:

John Welwood

The most powerful agent of growth and transformation is something much more basic than any technique: a change of heart.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ivannah said...

hugs. when are u coming back?

8:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This, I think, is your best blog of all. Now that you've had time to settle back into the corporate world, what are your thoughts on what you wrote here?

PS have you ever thought about being a writer?

12:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home